Sunday, June 04, 2006

3 Months...

Doesn't seem like a long time, but in baby time -- it's an eternity!! Georgia is now 3 months old and wow has she changed!

Now she's holding her head up like a big girl on her tummy, is trying to sit up on her own, is getting a tooth, babbles all the time, giggles, occasionally gives high 5's, loves peek a boo, sleeps through the night (yay!!), and is just a joy.

Where did that three months go? I know I'll never get it back. It's just weird -- one day you have this teeny, tiny little newborn who feels like a feather and the next thing you know they weigh 15 pounds (or something close!!). I just visited a friend of mine on Friday who has a little boy that's a month old. It was crazy how much smaller and more helpless he felt than she did when I held him. And his cry still sounded little. His bootie fit in the palm of my hand. Stuff like that -- it's already different.

But then would you want to give up even ONE of these precious baby giggles or smiles? Any of this ever developing baby chub? Any of the coos and snuggles? The way she stops nursing to just GRIN because she's just happy to be alive? Starts nursing again just for a second and pulls away again because she just can't help herself -- just has to stare and smile. (Melts me in a heartbeat, by the way.)

No. Not a chance.

So you look back and remember. And you get a little teary eyed. And you feel a little bit sorry for yourself that the most recent and previous stages passed so quickly. And you vow to make every single second count. But then you (inevitably) take for granted what a treasure and gift every day is. And then you blink and you do it all over again.

When I was pregnant with Mitchell, I asked my friend who had an 18 month old at the time -- what's your favorite age been? Her answer was that every age was her favorite age. I totally agree.

Now that Mitchell's older, there are definitely more things that are difficult than when they're in that portable baby stage, but I still find that it's true. Yes, he can be sassy as all get out and throw some knock down tantrums that raise the rafters, but is there anything better than hearing your little boy say "Mommy, you're my best friend! I love you." ???

I'm sure there is, and I'm sure it's just around the corner.

No comments: