Monday, July 17, 2006

In my former life...

I went to a wedding this weekend...my cousin who is 28 got married and it was beautiful. He is so happy and the wedding was great. I had to leave before the party got going at the reception, but I know it was a blast. (I had already skipped one feeding with Georgia and my gals just couldn't take missing two.)

Anyway-- while I was there, it struck me just how YOUNG my cousin and his friends all seemed. I'm really only about 5 years older, but WOW -- it felt like a lot more than that. Most of his buddies were all the same age -- hardly any of them had children. I was just watching everyone going -- that was me - -4 and a half years ago. I was 28, no kids, getting married, the world at my feet. We could go where we wanted, when we wanted, with whom we wanted. We both worked but then it was just a free for all when work was over. Happy hour? No problem. Away for the weekend? Anywhere we wanted. Spontaneous bbq with friends? Why not.

These days it takes me forever to get out the door because I have to pack the double stroller, the diaper bag, my purse, snacks and drinks, the boppy, put both kids in their carseats, make sure we go potty first, etc. I also have to time out the feedings or pack stuff for bottles. If something "spontaneous" comes up, it's all about who can watch the kids or we bring them with and then we have bedtimes and feedings to deal with.

It's so funny how things change so instantaneously -- EVERYTHING changes. From the second you wake up till the second you go to bed, parenthood changes your life. It changes your heart, the way you view the world, the things you say and do, the things you watch, the food in your pantry and refrigerator, the decor of your house, the freakin' CAR you drive...everything. And for me -- I wouldn't change a thing. At all. Ever.

It's just funny -- it all changed in the blink of an eye and I KNOW it changed -- but it's like it doesn't slap ya in the face till I see other people doing different things. I just sat in my chair and thought how interesting it would be to see that same group of people in 5 more years and see how they'd changed.

No comments: