Saturday, July 02, 2005

Love the 4th...

I really do love the 4th of July...it's a pretty cool holiday. Sometimes, well--a lot of times, I end up completely taking my freedom and what it truly means to be an American for granted and it's nice to have this holiday to remember what it's all about. We really do live in an amazing country...yes, we have many problems and issues, but to be provided with the opportunity to say and do what we want to every day without question is pretty remarkable when you see what's going on in many other parts of the world. I also am so grateful for the fact that we are allowed to worship as we choose and cannot imagine having someone else decide my faith choice...or having to live in fear and be silent about making my own choice. I am married to one of the biggest patriots in our country and he has taught me so much about history and pride, and this is by far his favorite holiday of the year. He LOVES the 4th of July and I used to not really get into it, but now I love it, too. I used to just like the fireworks while eating a good ol' hot dog, but wasn't really thinking about what we were actually supposed to be celebrating. I'm not sure if it's because things mean so much more to me now as a parent, if it's just appreciating different elements of life as I get older, or if it's the influence of my patriotic hubby, but celebrating on the 4th is different for me now. We constantly pray for our troops and it's pretty humbling to think about the sacrifices so many of them are making and have made for us and this country. It's heartbreaking to think about the lives that have been changed and broken forever in the name of people that they don't even know. I'm looking forward to spending time with my own family this weekend and appreciating everything about my life that I seem to be so good at complaining about...even the 6 hours of NASCAR that I'll be watching with my ecstatic husband tonight! Happy 4th of July...God Bless America!!!

No comments: