Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Back in the land of the living...

Okay, so I highly recommend keeping your bowels in good working condition if you can at all help it. I was barely functioning last week, let alone even considering writing in this blog that I haven't shared anywhere yet. My digestive nightmare has come to a close for now, and I'm happy to report that I believe I am actually human again. I knew I was back in the ballgame when we were watching TV on Sunday and every single commercial prompted a "Doesn't that look SOOO yummy?" My hubby wants to know what kind of whacked out star I fell under to have diarrhea be my little "blessing" in the form of morning sickness with this pregnancy. I'll tell you what kind of star...the same one that, while performing my maid of honor duties during wedding pictures, had a golf ball fly from behind me, land on the cart path in front of me, bounce up my dress and smack me square on the kneecap! That same star was also in charge of me tearing my patellar tendon in my knee simply by standing still. I'm thinking it may have actually all started with my feet that are a half-size different in length. (Are you sensing a pattern yet?) All I know is that I take my health way too much for granted, and little episodes like the last week and a half reminded me of how lucky I am! Wouldn't you know it though...the DAY my diarrhea starts to clear up, I caught Mitchell's cold. Grrrrrr. Oh well, I can handle a cold...it just wipes me out.

Yes, that's right, I said it wipes me out and here I sit at 2 am typing. I think it might be a disease or something...I have always had sleep issues. My mom said I was a horrible napper, I never went to bed when I was supposed to, and I can still remember having really scary dreams while growing up. (I still have nightmares pretty regularly.) Grad school just sucked in the way of sleep...I actually spent many, many nights sleeping on the couch in front of the TV because that was the only way I could get to sleep. I'm a very light sleeper most of the time, and once I'm up, I'm up for awhile. Mitchell seems to have gotten Chris' ability to sleep through pretty much anything. Unfortunately, Chris and I both fell asleep on the couch tonight and I woke up at 12:45 and got us both upstairs. I didn't even turn the light on in the bedroom in hopes that I could just drift right back off, but half an hour and many, many random thoughts later, I was in the office with the computer fired up. I was just laying there thinking about things that really have no business swimming around my head at 1:00 in the morning...a couple of tasks I didn't get done today, phone calls I need to make, gifts I need to buy, the shirts waiting to be picked up at the dry cleaners, how dumb it is that I'm completely excited for our milk to be delivered in the morning, and what I'm going to make for dinner tomorrow so that I can defrost meat if I need to. Will someone please point me in the direction of the "off" switch in the brain so I can get some much needed sleep? I mean, seriously...do I really need to be thinking about frozen hamburger at 1 am? I think not. I am really tired...exhausted, actually...yet, I'm unable to just shut my eyes and go to sleep. Sigh. Off to get a snack and some ice water and then try again to go to sleep...I think I'll dig out my lavendar pillow spray and see if it helps. There's always Conan and Jay Leno...they usually help me out around this time of night. Wish me luck!!

No comments: